Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Thursday In Ethiopia



Almost two months later but here we go, Thursday in Ethiopia


In the morning Rick went with a few other people to a market. It was the biggest market in Africa. I had read about it on other people’s blogs and new it was not a place to bring children. The boys and I stayed back at Horizon House. Rick said the number of people was amazing. We needed more diapers (just in case for the plane ride home) so he also stopped at the "super market." He said the super market was about as big as one of our pharmacies. However, there he also purchased some coffee from the region our children were born.


When he returned I went to T’s house to video tape the children praying prior to lunch. It is the cutest thing. One child stands in front of everyone else and leads the prayer line by line. All the children repeat after him. It’s a pretty long prayer and the little guy who did it on this day looked to be four. It was amazing he remembered it.


After prayer the nannies serve all the children their lunch. It seems most meals they received injera. Today was no different. Not sure if I’ve mentioned this before but injera was not my favorite. At one table a little girl held out her hand with some injera saying, "Miss, Miss." She was talking to me and wanted me to eat some of her injera. I thought that was really cute and without thinking went over to eat the injera. Before I knew it all the children at this table had big globs of injera saying, "Miss-Miss." As I looked at all the little hands with injera meant for my consumption I remembered the list of possible diseases the children may have. I saw all the little runny noses attached to the bodies with the injera. Yes I went around and ate the injera. Why? These children are so cute and so want to be loved.


When you enter the compound the children run to you and call you Mommy or Daddy. They attach themselves to your legs. They ask to be picked up. The slightest bit of attention seems to be so needed. How many times have they seen the other parents come to take their friends away? Do they each time hope these strangers are their parent(s)? As I looked around I knew they were someone’s children. If I could give them a few moments of happiness and love I would. It was my prayer when my sons were there that someone loved them. This was my turn to love for someone else.

2 comments:

Nobody said...

The food looks good. Miss you guys. Call me sometime.

Susy Q said...

I love reading these journal entries from Ethiopia! I'm working on recounting our own trip now, but I haven't gotten past day 2 yet. It seems like you had a great trip- can't wait to read more!