Sunday, April 15, 2007

Who Made Me?




"There is no path that does not lead to a home."

TONGA PROVERB

I was in one of my favorite stores, Job Lot, yesterday and picked up this book. I had never realized how hard it was to find books, art or dolls that featured African Americans. Never mind trying to find items that show white parents with black children. So when I see these types of items I pick them up.

This book is about a girl trying to find the answer to the question, "Who Made Me?" in the African bush. She asks the same question to different animals. Their answer ties her creator to someone like them and they share their gift that resembles their creator. The book never really answers the question. What it does do is open the door to discussion.

Its a big question. First we know what God says in Genesis 1:27

"So God created man in his own image,
in the image of God he created him;
male and female he created them."

First we'll explain God created Nemo & Nema. They have birth parents and adoptive parents who both love them very much. We are much more than physical beings. The experiences throughout life make us who we are too.

Our ancestors are a large part of who we are. I believe they contribute both by nature and nurture. The characteristics that we have that resemble our ancestors are the nurture part of who we are. Who hasn't had the experience when they start saying things that their parents said while they were growing up. One of my first experiences happened when I managed a Bess Eaton. I said, "Why can't people put things back where they found them?" Thanks Dad :0) My brothers and sisters tell me I'm like my mother. For good or bad our children will model our behaviors.

Nemo & Nema will have biological ancestors in Ethiopia. We may or may not know anything about their biological ancestors. Not knowing one's biological history isn't a foreign concept only applying to adopted persons. Slaves brought to North America after a few generations also lost their biological ancestral history. I pray we are able to learn about Nemo & Nema's biological family. We'll share and celebrate their birth culture. Together we'll learn about Ethiopia.

The above quote, "There is no path that does not lead to a home." was in the book. At first I didn't really believe it. Then I read 2 Corinthians 5:1 "Now we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands." Then I realized it is true. We're all on paths. We all will live eternally. In the end it is rather simple. Our paths lead us to one of two eternal homes.

1 comment:

Nobody said...

Oh how we miss Job Lot! We just don't have any fun places to shop like that here.