Thursday, June 14, 2007

No Travel Date

I haven't blogged in a while because we've been very busy. Many have been asking the next logical question, "When do you travel?" Short answer is we don't know. It appears travel happens on average 8 weeks after referral. I can see on the on-line support group the next group to travel will do so in a couple of weeks. They're called group 44. The people in this group received their referral in the beginning of May. That means we could be in group 45 or 46. It depends on how many people received referrals ahead of us and if our case went through the 13 Ethiopian courts without a snag. So we will most likely travel the end of July. I thought once I had the referral I'd be nuts being separated from the boys, I'm not. I've had so much to do to keep me occupied.

The next most popular question, "Have you heard anything new?" Yes bless people's hearts. People who have been in Ethiopia have sent us bits of insight into our boys and new pictures too!!!! We have been told K is very serious and takes everything in around him. T is still shy around the camera but loves to play ball. This was good news for Rick because he wants to play baseball with the boys. The best news I heard was that K is not walking yet. I know its selfish but I want to experience as much of the infancy part of child rearing as I can. So it was with great relief to hear K isn't walking. From a picture I can tell he has at least 2 teeth, so stinkin cute.

We've also found out their birth family probably speaks Kembatigna. Anyone fluent?

My sister in law, S, and I went to register at Babies R Us. We had a fantastic time. So glad she helped me. One brother has given us bunk beds and the other brother has given us a crib. So very helpful on the pocketbook. Someone I work with has blessed us with so many things, books, stuffed Nemo toys (2 so the boys won't fight) and lots of encouragement. Actually many people have given us a lot of support-THANK YOU all!

I've started to write in journals for each of our boys. Things like what happened when we received the referral, our steps to get them, and stuff like that. It will be their story from our eyes.

What else, well anytime I see a child that appears close to T or K age I ask the parents how old the child is and their weight. I'm trying to get that mental vision of what they look like. Last night I was in emergency care (everything is fine-was with a friend-also fine) and saw a little girl who is K's age. Her mother was in her early 20's. I found my self staring. I was watching to see what we are in for and to see how the mother was doing her job-picking up tips. Things like- child steps on toy, tell child not to step on toys. I think I can remember that. Child tries to climb onto table-run over in silly fun voice and say, "What are you doing?" Both being reduced to giggles. Okay I can do that. See now that I have the referral the anxiety of can I actually do this has set in. What if I forget to feed them or something? I do it all the time with plants. Hell I kill plants.

Then the little girl went into the room. Out of the room came tear jerking cries. Yes I sat in the waiting room fighting tears. I was imagining my child going through the experience. Then a little boy T's age came in with his father. He had dislocated his wrist. As his father was checking them in he was holding the little boy. The little boy heard the little girl crying. With a concerned voice he told his father his observation. His father distracted by filling out paper work gave a unconvincing, "Its okay." The little boy continued to listen. Then he said, "Can I go play with them?" I guess if a little boy no older than 4 can figure out what to do with a child even a dope like me will do okay.

1 comment:

Susy Q said...

So sorry to hear this!! I remember how frustrating it was to go for weeks not hearing anything. Once you do go through court, though, that's when the real excitement-and preparation!- begins: we leave in two days and we still have so much to do! All of it is of course soooo worth it though!